Saturday, 23 August 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge


Yes, I just did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! The challenge that goes viral around the globe through social medias. I was nominated by my cousin, Abilaksha Denise Das. She currently lives in one of the islands in the Pacific Ocean. I gladly accepted this challenge in the name of charity. I not only doused myself with a bucket full of iced water, but also donated to the ALSA research fund. My hope is through in depth study on ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), hopefully experts in the field one day will discover the cure and treatments for those who are affected by the disease which more often known as the Lou Gehrig's Disease. It is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. 

I found it was more difficult to get the words out of my mouth after being doused with cold water. I even did it in the rain which made the matter worse, haha! I think for a few seconds I actually suffered brain freeze. Since I only had 24 hours to do it, so I left with no choice but to take up the challenge after I came back from work. Then, I challenged Fr. Kelvin Jawa (Priest at St. Faith's Church, Kuching), Hevance (Sarawak local indie band) and also Garner (a member of Sarawak Bloggers Society). I have my own reason to nominate these three people in my Facebook. They are influential in their on fields, so I believe they can get more people to do the challenge and donate. For more information on ALSA, do visit their website at www.alsa.org . 


4 comments:

  1. Bravo! Bravo! I don't think i would be doing it. Not crazy enough ley...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much crazier do you want it to be? Haha...

      Delete
  2. I find that the ALS Ice Bucket challenge a great awareness campaign. Donations do come in, but the awareness part is the really cool one.

    Too bad Obama decided not to do it, and that some people think its stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agreed. Creating awareness is my main concern. No matter how stupid and controversial it is, it helps to save life. And at least people who create awareness of ALS and donate at the same time are better than those who just sit in front of their laptops and do nothing but criticising.

      Delete